Dairy Health Scheme
The scheme is centred on monthly health reporting on the basis of a monthly clinic sessions which are intended not only to be a PD session but also an opportunity to see problem cows, carry out on-going monitoring of herd problems and a chance to discuss any issues you may have with us with a regular vet allowing you to build up a strong working relationship with the veterinary team here at Market Vets.
In addition to this there are many other services we can provide for you should you wish, including:
- 6 monthly locomotion scoring
- Quarterly consultancy visits assessing fresh cow performance and production with your nutritionist/advisor if wished
- Key performance indicator reviews and anonymous benchmarking against other herds within the scheme
- Discounted herd health plan for farm assurance
- Mastitis Service
- We offer a full mastitis service including detailed analysis of SCC and milk records using Interherd and Herd Companion, mastitis sample cultures and bulk milk analysis through approved laboratories and Bactoscan break down investigation.
- On farm mastitis visits, including parlour auditing and consultancy to suit your needs.
Keeping our clients informed of the latest developments in animal health is important. It helps them to understand current best practice and helps us by instigating discussions on how we can best implement it. We hold regular and free farmer meetings and workshops on the upper floor of our surgery at Market Veterinary Centre. This area has been designed to provide seminar facilities.
We provide a free Interherd Bureau Service to all farmers who request it. From this we produce herd health reviews on a regular basis to monitor herd productivity. This includes fertility, nutrition and cell counts. This service is constantly being developed and improved to provide a dynamic monitoring tool to help improve farmers’ margins in terms of milk per cow year.
Our use of modern ultrasound scanners enables us to assess reproductive status very accurately.
We recognise the important role that animal nutrition plays in production and health. As such we work either with nutritional advisers or independently to make sure our clients’ herds are receiving the right nutrition for the demands made on them. We have nutritional software - such as RUMNUT - available to help formulate and check rations.
We provide independent DEFRA approved AI training. This takes the form of a four day course on a practice farm and is aimed at those of our clients who need to obtain an AI license. We also offer AI refresher courses. Please contact us for more details on 01769 575290.